This tour visits the Rainbow Mountain, explores the Raqchi Inca Ruins, and then drops off the trekkers in Puno City. It is a great option for those that want to continue their travels in Peru in Puno or are on their way to La Paz or Arequipa. There are connections in Puno for both.
Schedule for this uniquely designed tour!
- Pick up from your hotel in Cusco at 4am in our private van
- Drive for 3 hours through the south valley of Cusco to the trailhead.
- By 7am our chef will have cooked you a hot breakfast that you can enjoy with the amazing surrounding views
- The trek takes about 1.5 hours along a trail winds through a desert valley with views of glaciers.
- By 9am, you arrive at Rainbow Mountain, enjoy the striking colors and be sure to take lots of pictures.
- After summiting, there is an optional 45 minute hike to take in the views of the Red Valley.
- By 11am, enjoy your fresh cooked lunch prepared by professional chefs.
- By noon, you travel in our private van to Raqchi Inca City and take time to explore it
- Finally we drive for roughly 4 hours to Puno City
- By 6pm, you should arrive to Puno and you will be dropped off at your hotel.
ITINERARY FOR ADVENTURE DAY
CUSCO – RAINBOW MOUNTAIN – RAQCHI – PUNO
Your adventure to the rainbow mountain begins with pick up from your hotel at 4am. We set out on a drive for 3 hours through the South Valley; ending up at the trailhead at Llacto (4,638m/15,216 ft). The early morning drive is dark and gives you the opportunity to relax or take a nap before arriving at our breakfast location.
The herds of alpacas and llamas nearby will entertain you as you eat your breakfast. After filling up we hop back in the van and drive for roughly 45 min to the trailhead. At the trailhead, we start our hike following a lovely mountain stream. As you hike, you will have views of the Ausangate Mountain and its glaciers. Here is where you get the rare opportunity to interact with the local people, who are still keeping traditional Quechua culture alive. Learn about their traditional clothes and the significance of the different hats worn by the men and women. Ask your guide to teach you a few words of Quechua!
After a total hike of 1.5 hours, we finally reach our destination: the Rainbow Mountain (5,020m /16,466ft). After admiring the unique beauty, you will have time to explore the area. You can take pictures or just soak up the view. We spend approximately 30 minutes at the top. Afterwards, there is an optional hike across to the top of the Red Valley. This walk takes about 45 minutes roundtrip to get back to the trailhead. After we have had our fill of the unique landscape, we hike back down the way we came. The hike back down the mountain takes about 1 hour and at the bottom we will meet our driver who will take us to lunch.
After a well deserved break and a delicious meal, we embark on the 1.5 hour drive to Raqchi, and take time to explore this unique and amazing Inca city.
Finally we drive for about 4 hours to Puno in our private van, and drop everyone off at their hotels by by 6pm
- Meals included: Breakfast, Lunch
- Difficulty: moderate to challenging
What time of year is the best time to do the Rainbow Mountain trek?
The best season to hike the Rainbow Mountain is the dry season, which is from April to September every year. During Cusco’s dry season it’s less likely to rain. Most days are beautiful sunny weather. Only occasionally there is a cloudy day or a very brief afternoon shower. The peak tourism season in Cusco is between the months of May and September, which is due to the weather and summer vacation for those in the northern hemisphere.
****Note: A horse can be hired for the majority of the trek. However, the last 600m are too steep for horses and you will have to walk this last part.
This unique tour is offered by SAM Travel Peru.